History of the Bradley Beach Police Department
On April 19, 1983, the Borough of Bradley Beach passed an ordiance authorizing the office of "Marshal". Charles A. Bennett was appointed the first marshal of Bradley Beach.
The first sworn Chief of Police was Charles J. Poland who served from 1935 to 1950. The future Chief's served in the following order:
Robert E. Farry 1950 to 1951, and was later elected as Borough Commissioner.
Harry T. Gaunt - 1951 through 1971.
Eugene T. Myles - 1972 to 1988.
Alfred E. Trimble - 1988 to 1992.
Robert DeNardo -1992 through 2006.
The current Chief of Police is Leonard A. Guida appointed in January 2007.
The operation of the Police Department has changed dramatically through the years, from foot patrols and "on the beat cop" to the use of bicycle patrols and marked police vehicles. The Bradley Beach Police Department currently has marked and covert police vehicles outfitted with the latest equipment such as mobile computer terminals, speed radar units, license plate readers and various life-saving equipment including floatation devices and AED defibrillators.
As the Borough has grown, so has the Police Department. The department currently has eighteen full time officers, with officers assigned to the detective bureau, traffic safety, community services and the D.A.R.E. Program.
Within the department there are four full-time dispatchers, school crossing guards, police matrons and special police that assist the department and provide additional security to our children during school hours and our increased beachfront population during the summer.
The Bradley Beach Police Department has come a long way since 1893 and under the current leadership of Chief Leonard A. Guida, we will continue to meet the needs of the residents and protect and serve the community.
Emergencies call the Bradley Beach Police Department at (732)-775-6900 or call 9-1-1. Stay tuned to your local radio stations for evacuation and emergency information or sign up for our emergency notification system by contacting Borough Hall at 732-776-2999 x.1010